Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L.
Call Today. 305-508-5749 | 877-421-5473

Father of three disabled children worries about their future

Many parents worry about their children. They may worry that their children will not make smart life decisions, could get into dangerous situations, or will become ill. One father of three children with disabilities has many worries about his children's futures. The man adopted three disadvantaged children with his wife, who died two years ago. The children are now 18, 14 and 11 years old.

The 18-year-old son is severely autistic and cannot care for himself. The 14 year-old has Type 1 diabetes, and the 11-year-old was born with a genetic brain disorder. The father is proud of how he has raised his children and that they were not institutionalized, which likely would have happened if he and his wife had not adopted them.

Since his wife's death however, he has faced many financial challenges. With three children who require full-time care, he has not been able to work. He hires a sitter sometimes, but fears he will no longer be able to afford this help soon. His mother does live with the family, but without any income besides his Social Security benefits and his children's disability benefits, getting by is difficult.

One of this father's primary concerns is what would happen to his children if he could not care for them any longer. In his situation, since his children may not be able to care for themselves, arranging a guardianship may be very beneficial.

If this father created a legal arrangement clarifying where his children would go and whose care they would be placed under if he could not care for them, he might feel slightly less stressed by his situation. When children or adults are unable to make decisions for themselves, arranging a legal guardian is important to ensure someone with the person's best interests in mind is ready to speak up for the person should their representation become necessary.

Source: Patch, "'I don't want to lose my kids,' widowed dad says," Natalie Davis, Sept. 30, 2012

To learn more about creating a guardianship for a parent or child or planning for a disability, please visit our website.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • I have known and worked with Austin Frye and his team since 2008. In that time he has helped serve both my business and personal legal planning needs. From guidance on reviewing and keeping shareholder and state documentation up to date... - Robert
  • It is difficult enough to cope with the emotional challenges of closing a parent's estate, and when you are also faced with the issue of your parents having insufficient documentation, and being remote from your siblings… - Zara L.
  • Austin Frye provided legal services to my father while alive and to his estate after his death; when showing the EP docs his firm prepared to other professionals (lawyers, financial advisors, accountants)… - Mark S
  • I've been a client of Austin Frye's for over 10 years. In that time, he's handled my estate/trust planning and asset protection as well as complicated business deals. - Leslie
  • Mr. Frye recently set up a complicated special needs trust for my son and, as usual, did a great job explaining it and in putting our minds at ease about our son's future well-being. - Dr. Howard
  • Massachusetts Bar Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • CFP
  • Florida Bar Elder Law Member
  • Academy Of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
  • Florida bar Business law Member
  • NAELA National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us For Personal Attention To Your Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Get In Touch With Us
20900 W. Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33180

Toll Free: 877-421-5473
Phone: 305-508-5749
Map & Directions