Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L.
Call Today. 305-508-5749 | 877-421-5473

Becoming a guardian for an incapacitated individual

Becoming a caregiver for a family member often goes beyond helping elderly parents or taking care of someone with emotional issues--such as the case with Britney Spears that we discussed a few weeks ago. Millions of people in Florida and across the country have siblings with lifelong special needs, and more and more of them are finding themselves in the position of caring for them after their parents are gone.

The prospect of attaining guardianship for a disabled sibling can be a daunting one. Not only are there legal aspects that caring siblings must go through to become guardians, but the emotional and financial aspects may also be difficult to face. An Easter Seals survey showed that few people feel financially prepared to look after a sibling with a mental illness or physical disability.

Many disabled adults have Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid to provide needed financial support, but their legal guardians may benefit by setting up a trust. This can further ensure their needs are taken care of as elderly parents pass away, and in the event the disabled sibling needs to be put in a care facility. A trust will enable a person with special needs to receive extra money while still being able to receive SSI and Medicaid.

Making the decision to take care of a disabled sibling while your parents are aging can be a difficult one, but for the disabled person, it can be reassuring to receive care from a familiar loved one. An estate planning attorney can help with the process of attaining guardianship, as well as setting up trusts and the other financial aspects of taking care of a sibling with special needs.

Source: US News, “Caring for a Sibling With Special Needs,” Geoff Williams, May 14, 2013

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • I have known and worked with Austin Frye and his team since 2008. In that time he has helped serve both my business and personal legal planning needs. From guidance on reviewing and keeping shareholder and state documentation up to date... - Robert
  • It is difficult enough to cope with the emotional challenges of closing a parent's estate, and when you are also faced with the issue of your parents having insufficient documentation, and being remote from your siblings… - Zara L.
  • Austin Frye provided legal services to my father while alive and to his estate after his death; when showing the EP docs his firm prepared to other professionals (lawyers, financial advisors, accountants)… - Mark S
  • I've been a client of Austin Frye's for over 10 years. In that time, he's handled my estate/trust planning and asset protection as well as complicated business deals. - Leslie
  • Mr. Frye recently set up a complicated special needs trust for my son and, as usual, did a great job explaining it and in putting our minds at ease about our son's future well-being. - Dr. Howard
  • Massachusetts Bar Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • CFP
  • Florida Bar Elder Law Member
  • Academy Of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
  • Florida bar Business law Member
  • NAELA National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us For Personal Attention To Your Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Get In Touch With Us
20900 W. Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33180

Toll Free: 877-421-5473
Phone: 305-508-5749
Map & Directions