Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L.
Call Today. 305-508-5749 | 877-421-5473

The difference between guardianships and conservatorships

The dramatic advancement of modern medicine has led to longer life spans for many people in Florida. Unfortunately, the advances in ways to treat Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia have not kept pace with advances in the care of physical ailments. As more and more elderly people in the United States require assistance in making health-related and financial decisions, the presence of guardians and conservators in legal matters has increased. Many people may be interested in the differences between guardianships and conservatorships.

When an adult is not capable of making sound decisions, the court will appoint an appropriate person or people to assist that person in decision making. The roles of a guardian and a conservator generally go hand-in-hand and often are assigned to the same person. However, there is a distinct difference between the two.

A guardian is someone who is able to make health-related and other personal decisions for someone whom a court has deemed incapacitated or incompetent. Though often a person only has one guardian, there can be multiple guardians if the court deems it necessary. Typically, a guardian will decide a person's living arrangements, put safety precautions into place and make decisions about medical treatments.

On the other hand, a conservator is one or more persons who is legally able to make financial decisions on behalf of an incompetent or incapacitated person. In this role, a conservator could management a person's assets, bank accounts or investments. They could also assist a person with estate management, including paying bills and collecting debts.

It is possible to have a say in whom the court designates as a person's conservator or guardian if the time comes. However, if a person has not designated someone for these roles in a living will or power of attorney, the court will have the power to assign whomever it deems fit. A Florida attorney who is experienced in setting up guardianships and conservatorships will be in the best position to assist a client in ensuring that his or her goals are met.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • I have known and worked with Austin Frye and his team since 2008. In that time he has helped serve both my business and personal legal planning needs. From guidance on reviewing and keeping shareholder and state documentation up to date... - Robert
  • It is difficult enough to cope with the emotional challenges of closing a parent's estate, and when you are also faced with the issue of your parents having insufficient documentation, and being remote from your siblings… - Zara L.
  • Austin Frye provided legal services to my father while alive and to his estate after his death; when showing the EP docs his firm prepared to other professionals (lawyers, financial advisors, accountants)… - Mark S
  • I've been a client of Austin Frye's for over 10 years. In that time, he's handled my estate/trust planning and asset protection as well as complicated business deals. - Leslie
  • Mr. Frye recently set up a complicated special needs trust for my son and, as usual, did a great job explaining it and in putting our minds at ease about our son's future well-being. - Dr. Howard
  • Massachusetts Bar Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • CFP
  • Florida Bar Elder Law Member
  • Academy Of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
  • Florida bar Business law Member
  • NAELA National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us For Personal Attention To Your Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Get In Touch With Us
20900 W. Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33180

Toll Free: 877-421-5473
Phone: 305-508-5749
Map & Directions