Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L.
Call Today. 305-508-5749 | 877-421-5473

Addressing a breach of trust

Being at the perceived mercy of a trustee Miami can be a nerve-wracking proposition. If you are like many of those with whom we here at The Law Offices of Frye and Vazquez, P.L. have worked in the past, you may wondering what sort of legal recourse you have if you suspect a case of breach of trust. The Florida Trust Code does have provisions in place to deal with such incidents.

First, an inquiry will likely be made into the trustee's actions. If he or she is neglecting to perform his or her duties, the court may compel him or her to do so. If no violation of his or her duties to you or other beneficiaries has not yet occurred, yet could potentially result from an intended action, the court may enjoin the trustee from initiating it.  If, however, a breach of trust has already happened, the court may initiate any of the following courses of action:

  •          Force the trustee to repay any money or recover any property to the trust linked to his or her violation.
  •          Compel the trustee to make an accounting of his or her actions.
  •          Remove, suspend, or replace the trustee with a special fiduciary.
  •          Limit the trustee's compensation.
  •          Reclaim trust property or recover the proceeds of its sale, or place a lien on such property to keep it from being improperly disposed of.

If the trustee's violation was related to dispersing a lower share to you than was intended, the court may restore your appropriate portion to you pulling directly from the trust assets. It can also limit disbursements to a beneficiary who has been given too much.

Other details regarding enforcing the terms of a trust can be found here on our site.


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • I have known and worked with Austin Frye and his team since 2008. In that time he has helped serve both my business and personal legal planning needs. From guidance on reviewing and keeping shareholder and state documentation up to date... - Robert
  • It is difficult enough to cope with the emotional challenges of closing a parent's estate, and when you are also faced with the issue of your parents having insufficient documentation, and being remote from your siblings… - Zara L.
  • Austin Frye provided legal services to my father while alive and to his estate after his death; when showing the EP docs his firm prepared to other professionals (lawyers, financial advisors, accountants)… - Mark S
  • I've been a client of Austin Frye's for over 10 years. In that time, he's handled my estate/trust planning and asset protection as well as complicated business deals. - Leslie
  • Mr. Frye recently set up a complicated special needs trust for my son and, as usual, did a great job explaining it and in putting our minds at ease about our son's future well-being. - Dr. Howard
  • Massachusetts Bar Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • CFP
  • Florida Bar Elder Law Member
  • Academy Of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
  • Florida bar Business law Member
  • NAELA National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us For Personal Attention To Your Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Get In Touch With Us
20900 W. Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33180

Toll Free: 877-421-5473
Phone: 305-508-5749
Map & Directions