Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L.
Call Today. 305-508-5749 | 877-421-5473

What happens if you die without a will?

If you are a Florida resident who has not yet made a will, you probably will be shocked to discover that the state of Florida has made one for you – sort of. The Florida Bar explains that if you die without having made a will, you are considered to have died intestate and your probate assets will be distributed according to Florida law.

Florida defines probate assets as those things that you own in your name only at the time of your death. Probate assets also can be things you own with someone else, such as a bank account or vehicle, but which lack a provision for the automatic transfer to that person when you die.

Intestacy distribution if you are married

If you are married at the time of your death and survived by your spouse, but no children or other descendants, your spouse will receive all of your probate assets. If both your spouse and one or more of your descendants survive you, your spouse will receive half of your probate estate and your descendants will share equally in the other half.

Intestacy distribution if you are not married

If you are single, divorced or widowed at the time of your death and survived by one or more descendants, they will share equally in your entire probate estate. Should any of your descendants die before you do, but have children of their own at the time of their death, those children take their parent’s place in your line of succession. For instance, if your son had two children before he died, your two grandchildren will share equally in what would have been your son’s share of your probate estate had he survived you.

If you are not married at the time of your death and have no surviving descendants, your probate estate goes to either or both of your parents who survive you. If they predeceased you, then your probate estate is distributed among your surviving siblings.

Should you have no close surviving relatives, your probate estate is divided among more distant relatives such as cousins, nieces, nephews, etc. While this information should not be taken as legal advice, it can help you understand the process and what to expect.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • I have known and worked with Austin Frye and his team since 2008. In that time he has helped serve both my business and personal legal planning needs. From guidance on reviewing and keeping shareholder and state documentation up to date... - Robert
  • It is difficult enough to cope with the emotional challenges of closing a parent's estate, and when you are also faced with the issue of your parents having insufficient documentation, and being remote from your siblings… - Zara L.
  • Austin Frye provided legal services to my father while alive and to his estate after his death; when showing the EP docs his firm prepared to other professionals (lawyers, financial advisors, accountants)… - Mark S
  • I've been a client of Austin Frye's for over 10 years. In that time, he's handled my estate/trust planning and asset protection as well as complicated business deals. - Leslie
  • Mr. Frye recently set up a complicated special needs trust for my son and, as usual, did a great job explaining it and in putting our minds at ease about our son's future well-being. - Dr. Howard
  • Massachusetts Bar Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • CFP
  • Florida Bar Elder Law Member
  • Academy Of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
  • Florida bar Business law Member
  • NAELA National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us For Personal Attention To Your Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Get In Touch With Us
20900 W. Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33180

Toll Free: 877-421-5473
Phone: 305-508-5749
Map & Directions