Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L.
Call Today. 305-508-5749 | 877-421-5473

Assuming guardianship after parental rights are terminated

In many cases, a family member is named a legal guardian of a child if the child's parents pass away before the child turns 18. The preferred guardian is usually named in the parents' will. however, as our team at the Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L., understands, some circumstances may warrant an adult taking on the legal responsibility to raise a child even if the parents are still living. You and other Florida residents may be interested in learning how this can occur, as well as the challenges you might face if you become the guardian of a child whose parents lost their rights.

There are many reasons parents could have their rights to raise their children terminated, explains FindLaw. One or both parents may be physically, emotionally or sexually abusive. The parents could have a problem with alcohol or substance abuse. An accident or illness may have rendered a parent mentally or physically incompetent to care for a child. A parent may even voluntarily sign over his or her rights. If you are a close family member, such as a grandparent, sibling of one of the parents or adult cousin, the court may request that you assume guardianship.

This is because family law courts prefer to have children maintain close ties with their family members whenever possible. As you might imagine, caring for a child whose parents had their rights terminated may present some unique challenges. The child might have problems with anxiety or depression, which could manifest as being withdrawn, having difficulty in school, being unable to make friends or acting out. You may wish to seek assistance from a therapist with experience counseling children with anxiety or abandonment issues. You might also find it helpful to enroll in parenting classes meant for legal guardians.

Assuming guardianship of a child who needs you can be difficult, but also rewarding, as our page on guardianships explains.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • I have known and worked with Austin Frye and his team since 2008. In that time he has helped serve both my business and personal legal planning needs. From guidance on reviewing and keeping shareholder and state documentation up to date... - Robert
  • It is difficult enough to cope with the emotional challenges of closing a parent's estate, and when you are also faced with the issue of your parents having insufficient documentation, and being remote from your siblings… - Zara L.
  • Austin Frye provided legal services to my father while alive and to his estate after his death; when showing the EP docs his firm prepared to other professionals (lawyers, financial advisors, accountants)… - Mark S
  • I've been a client of Austin Frye's for over 10 years. In that time, he's handled my estate/trust planning and asset protection as well as complicated business deals. - Leslie
  • Mr. Frye recently set up a complicated special needs trust for my son and, as usual, did a great job explaining it and in putting our minds at ease about our son's future well-being. - Dr. Howard
  • Massachusetts Bar Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • CFP
  • Florida Bar Elder Law Member
  • Academy Of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
  • Florida bar Business law Member
  • NAELA National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us For Personal Attention To Your Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Get In Touch With Us
20900 W. Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33180

Toll Free: 877-421-5473
Phone: 305-508-5749
Map & Directions