Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L.
Call Today. 305-508-5749 | 877-421-5473

Will your child need to pay taxes on a trust?

When you set up a revocable trust for your child in Miami, you may not always consider the tax implications. It is important to consider how this trust will be taxed, though, especially if you want this trust to be your child's inheritance.

If you establish a revocable trust, there are several different things that can happen after your death. Zacks Investment Research says that you may choose to have your child receive all the assets. This means that the trust would close. Sometimes, though, you may want your child to receive the assets over a number of years instead of all at once. In this situation, you may want to arrange for the trust to continue after your death. The trust can usually become either a complex or simple trust and these kinds are taxed differently.

If a trust turns into a complex trust after your death, then it can retain some assets each year while dispensing other assets to your child. Additionally, your child can usually receive resources from capital gains. Assets from the trust usually are considered income and your child will generally need to report these on his or her tax return. If your child receives money from capital gains, he or she does not typically need to pay taxes on this income. This is because the trust is taxed for this money.

You may also choose to turn a trust into a simple trust after you die. In this situation, any income earned by the trust each year will usually need to be given to your child that same year. Your child will generally need to report this money as income every year and pay taxes for it.

This information is intended to educate. It should not be used in place of legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • I have known and worked with Austin Frye and his team since 2008. In that time he has helped serve both my business and personal legal planning needs. From guidance on reviewing and keeping shareholder and state documentation up to date... - Robert
  • It is difficult enough to cope with the emotional challenges of closing a parent's estate, and when you are also faced with the issue of your parents having insufficient documentation, and being remote from your siblings… - Zara L.
  • Austin Frye provided legal services to my father while alive and to his estate after his death; when showing the EP docs his firm prepared to other professionals (lawyers, financial advisors, accountants)… - Mark S
  • I've been a client of Austin Frye's for over 10 years. In that time, he's handled my estate/trust planning and asset protection as well as complicated business deals. - Leslie
  • Mr. Frye recently set up a complicated special needs trust for my son and, as usual, did a great job explaining it and in putting our minds at ease about our son's future well-being. - Dr. Howard
  • Massachusetts Bar Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • CFP
  • Florida Bar Elder Law Member
  • Academy Of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
  • Florida bar Business law Member
  • NAELA National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us For Personal Attention To Your Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Get In Touch With Us
20900 W. Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33180

Toll Free: 877-421-5473
Phone: 305-508-5749
Map & Directions