Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L.
Call Today. 305-508-5749 | 877-421-5473

Can you keep your children from blowing their inheritance?

Your children are grown and make adult decisions, but you might worry that you can't trust their decisions to always be wise, especially when it comes to money. It can be difficult to handle a sudden inheritance when adult children are still young and inexperienced with managing money, or one or more of your children might have made devastating spending decisions in the past. For whatever reasons, you and other Florida residents with significant assets to pass on may worry about your children spending it too quickly.

You may hope the inheritance you leave your children can support them throughout their lives, put them or their children through college or help them purchase a home. However, people who suddenly find themselves with a lot of funds might not think that far ahead, instead choosing to spend it all on frivolous purchases, lavish vacations and other things that can drain an inheritance in weeks.

As Forbes explains, you might address these concerns by setting up a spendthrift trust for your children. Like other trusts, you can be specific in your wishes. You might direct the trustee to distribute a certain amount of funds to your children each month or determine how the money is to be spent. You can choose to keep the trust in place for a set number of years - ending when a child turns 30 or becomes gainfully employed, for example, or you could leave the trust in place for the rest of their lives.

A spendthrift trust allows your children to enjoy the benefits of their inheritance while protecting the money and ensuring they are comfortable for as long as possible. Since trusts require experienced legal counsel, this information should not replace the advice of a lawyer.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • I have known and worked with Austin Frye and his team since 2008. In that time he has helped serve both my business and personal legal planning needs. From guidance on reviewing and keeping shareholder and state documentation up to date... - Robert
  • It is difficult enough to cope with the emotional challenges of closing a parent's estate, and when you are also faced with the issue of your parents having insufficient documentation, and being remote from your siblings… - Zara L.
  • Austin Frye provided legal services to my father while alive and to his estate after his death; when showing the EP docs his firm prepared to other professionals (lawyers, financial advisors, accountants)… - Mark S
  • I've been a client of Austin Frye's for over 10 years. In that time, he's handled my estate/trust planning and asset protection as well as complicated business deals. - Leslie
  • Mr. Frye recently set up a complicated special needs trust for my son and, as usual, did a great job explaining it and in putting our minds at ease about our son's future well-being. - Dr. Howard
  • Massachusetts Bar Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • CFP
  • Florida Bar Elder Law Member
  • Academy Of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
  • Florida bar Business law Member
  • NAELA National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us For Personal Attention To Your Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Get In Touch With Us
20900 W. Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33180

Toll Free: 877-421-5473
Phone: 305-508-5749
Map & Directions