Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L.
Call Today. 305-508-5749 | 877-421-5473

Guardianship and estate planning

When a person becomes incapacitated, Florida law allows another person to take over making medical and financial decisions by being appointed a guardian. A guardianship may be filed when a person is temporarily or permanently unable to make decisions for themselves due to incapacity.

Petitions for guardianships and conservatorships are granted in order to serve the best interests of the ward. A guardian may be granted the power to ensure that the medical, physical and educational needs of the ward are met. Guardianships should be limited to facilitate the independence of the ward.

A guardian must submit regular updates to the court about the condition of the ward and an accounting of any assets owned by the ward to assure the court that any money in the ward's estate is spent for the benefit of the ward. The role of a guardian is not that of a caretaker but a person who makes important decisions for the ward. A guardian is not allowed to spend money in the ward's estate for their own personal use.

A guardian must be qualified to be appointed by a court. They must be at least 18 years old and must not have been convicted of a crime involving dishonesty, such as forgery or theft. If the ward is able to express their wishes about selecting a guardian, the court will take this into consideration.

An estate planning attorney may be able to answer legal questions about guardianships and conservatorships. Planning ahead for what should happen in case incapacity or disability occurs is an important part of any estate plan. A durable power of attorney form grants permission to another person to sign forms like financial documents on the grantor's behalf. Documents like a power of attorney and a will are important to prepare before incapacity occurs.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • I have known and worked with Austin Frye and his team since 2008. In that time he has helped serve both my business and personal legal planning needs. From guidance on reviewing and keeping shareholder and state documentation up to date... - Robert
  • It is difficult enough to cope with the emotional challenges of closing a parent's estate, and when you are also faced with the issue of your parents having insufficient documentation, and being remote from your siblings… - Zara L.
  • Austin Frye provided legal services to my father while alive and to his estate after his death; when showing the EP docs his firm prepared to other professionals (lawyers, financial advisors, accountants)… - Mark S
  • I've been a client of Austin Frye's for over 10 years. In that time, he's handled my estate/trust planning and asset protection as well as complicated business deals. - Leslie
  • Mr. Frye recently set up a complicated special needs trust for my son and, as usual, did a great job explaining it and in putting our minds at ease about our son's future well-being. - Dr. Howard
  • Massachusetts Bar Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • CFP
  • Florida Bar Elder Law Member
  • Academy Of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
  • Florida bar Business law Member
  • NAELA National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us For Personal Attention To Your Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Get In Touch With Us
20900 W. Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33180

Toll Free: 877-421-5473
Phone: 305-508-5749
Map & Directions