Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L. - estate planning
Se Habla Español
Coronavirus Update: We are equipped to address your estate, asset protection, and healthcare designation planning with proper precautions in our office or remotely through telephone and video conferencing. Social distancing does not have to stop you from attending to your planning needs. Learn more about our services during COVID-19 here or call us at 305-424-2529 for further details.

Contact Us


How to avoid estate planning issues

Individuals in Florida and throughout America should have an estate plan. That plan should account for as many different scenarios that a person can think of even if not all of them are likely to occur. For instance, it can be a good idea to include a power of attorney to ensure that financial and medical decisions can be made on an incapacitated person’s behalf.

Having a living will means that family members won’t have to go to court to determine what type of treatment a person should receive. It is a good idea to name multiple people to fill various roles in an estate. Having alternate trustees or agents allows a person to have his or her wishes carried out if the individual originally slated to fill a given role is unable to do so. Estate plans will ideally be reviewed or changed after a major life event.

Major life events could include a birth or death in the family. They can also include a marriage, a divorce or moving to another state where estate planning laws might be different. Ideally, an individual will review a plan every year or two even if a major life event does not take place. This reduces the chances that a person forgets to update or remove a beneficiary designation.

There are many ways in which wills can help a person retain control of assets after passing on. For instance, they may allow an individual to dictate who gets a car or other assets that remain within the estate. Creating a pour-over might be an effective way to fund a trust after a person dies. If a trust is not funded, it cannot be used to provide for a minor child or otherwise fulfill its intended purpose.



FindLaw Network