Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L. - estate planning
Se Habla Español
Coronavirus Update: We are equipped to address your estate, asset protection, and healthcare designation planning with proper precautions in our office or remotely through telephone and video conferencing. Social distancing does not have to stop you from attending to your planning needs. Learn more about our services during COVID-19 here or call us at 305-424-2529 for further details.

Contact Us


Estate planning tips for couples without children

Many couples in Florida and other states are opting not to have children. In addition to simply not wanting to be parents, couples have concerns about global instability, their parenting skills and their finances. But just because a couple decides not to have children, this does not mean that they should not think about estate planning.

Couples who decide not to have children still need a will. They need to decide where their assets will go if they die simultaneously, perhaps in an accident. Of course, if one spouse dies, their assets go to the other spouse. However, if neither individual has a will and they die, it is likely that the case will go to probate court, and then it will be decided who in their family should inherit their assets. It’s much better for a couple to make their wishes known.

A power of attorney is a document that allows an individual to appoint someone they trust to handle things like managing their investments, dealing with property matters, paying bills or completing other tasks if an individual is unable to perform them on their own. There are different types of powers of attorney that are available, including a durable POA, springing POA and general POA.

Couples without children sometimes want to leave their assets behind to religious institutions, high school alma maters, charities and other organizations. There are a variety of trusts that can be used to help a couple decide where they will want their money to go.

An individual who is interested in donating money to charitable organizations upon their death may want to consult with an estate planning attorney. The attorney may be able to help ensure that the organization receives the most benefit from an individual’s request. They may be able to provide information about how to draw up a will, a power of attorney and other documents.



FindLaw Network