Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L. - estate planning
Se Habla Español
Coronavirus Update: We are equipped to address your estate, asset protection, and healthcare designation planning with proper precautions in our office or remotely through telephone and video conferencing. Social distancing does not have to stop you from attending to your planning needs. Learn more about our services during COVID-19 here or call us at 305-424-2529 for further details.

Contact Us


Choosing a guardian for your parents

Like many Florida residents, you likely think of your parents as responsible caregivers for the family. There may come a time, though, when your parents cannot care for themselves and need you to take over. At the Law Offices of Frye and Vazquez, P.L., we know it is important for you to know when you should appoint a guardian for your parents.

There may be several signs that your parents need someone else to make decisions for them. One of your parents might not recognize fraud when he or she gets emails or letters asking for money. Your parents might also be too heavily influenced by someone else to their detriment. Sometimes your mother or father may forget about appointments and bills or lose money. Additionally, if one of your parents cannot make rational choices about healthcare or money, it may be time to appoint a guardian.

Once you know your parents need a guardian, you have to decide who should perform this job. says that a guardian makes important decisions about healthcare, finances and other matters for a senior. This role comes with a lot of responsibility, so it is important to choose the right person. Sometimes you may think you are the best person to do this job, and if you are an only child, you may be the only one who can provide this care for your parents. If you have siblings, however, it is a good idea to consult them.

When you and your siblings choose who should serve as your parent’s guardian, it is important to go over the job duties. A guardian typically has to keep detailed records about a senior’s health and finances. If your mother or father has a pension or other benefits, the person who serves as the guardian generally has to fill out all of this paperwork. It may be a good idea to pick someone who is comfortable taking care of these administrative tasks. Additionally, it may be best if a sibling who lives close to your parents serves as the guardian. You can find more information about this subject on our webpage.




FindLaw Network