Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L.
Call Today. 305-508-5749 | 877-421-5473

What to take into account when choosing a guardian for your child

If you have a child with intellectual or cognitive disabilities that is nearing the age of majority, then you may want to start considering identifying and appointing a guardian for them. Don't worry! Selecting a guardian for your child won't take away your ability to care for your son or daughter. It will simply allow you to rest assured knowing that someone else you know and trust will be able to care for your child if you can't. There are some steps that you'll want to take to carefully select the right guardian.

As you sit down to make a list of potential candidates for this role, you'll want to make sure that you have full command of the different decisions that they may be called to make. Anyone that you appoint to the guardian role may have make to medical, financial, personal and social decisions on behalf of your child.

You shouldn't simply write someone's name down for the role without talking to them first. You'll need to let them know virtually everything about your child and their needs. You'll need to advise them of what their responsibilities would be as a guardian and then ask if they'd feel comfortable having to make such decisions for your child.

It's important that you don't just pick one person that could fill this role, but that you select an alternate as well. This will protect you and your child if something happens to your original appointee before you have a chance to update the document.

You should put your choice of guardian in writing once you've selected them. You'll want to include this information in your will. You'll want to clearly state that you expect this person to step in for your child as their guardian should you pass away before they're 18. You should also have it state that you want that person to remain in that role after your child turns 18 if they have some type of intellectual disabilities.

Making sure that your special needs child is taken care of is important to you. An attorney in Miami can help you put the necessary wording in your will to ensure that your wishes are upheld in your Florida case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • I have known and worked with Austin Frye and his team since 2008. In that time he has helped serve both my business and personal legal planning needs. From guidance on reviewing and keeping shareholder and state documentation up to date... - Robert
  • It is difficult enough to cope with the emotional challenges of closing a parent's estate, and when you are also faced with the issue of your parents having insufficient documentation, and being remote from your siblings… - Zara L.
  • Austin Frye provided legal services to my father while alive and to his estate after his death; when showing the EP docs his firm prepared to other professionals (lawyers, financial advisors, accountants)… - Mark S
  • I've been a client of Austin Frye's for over 10 years. In that time, he's handled my estate/trust planning and asset protection as well as complicated business deals. - Leslie
  • Mr. Frye recently set up a complicated special needs trust for my son and, as usual, did a great job explaining it and in putting our minds at ease about our son's future well-being. - Dr. Howard
  • Massachusetts Bar Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • CFP
  • Florida Bar Elder Law Member
  • Academy Of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
  • Florida bar Business law Member
  • NAELA National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us For Personal Attention To Your Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Get In Touch With Us
20900 W. Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33180

Toll Free: 877-421-5473
Phone: 305-508-5749
Map & Directions