Law Offices of Frye & Vazquez, P.L.
Call Today. 305-508-5749 | 877-421-5473

Posts tagged "Guardianships & Conservatorships"

What to take into account when choosing a guardian for your child

If you have a child with intellectual or cognitive disabilities that is nearing the age of majority, then you may want to start considering identifying and appointing a guardian for them. Don't worry! Selecting a guardian for your child won't take away your ability to care for your son or daughter. It will simply allow you to rest assured knowing that someone else you know and trust will be able to care for your child if you can't. There are some steps that you'll want to take to carefully select the right guardian.

When might a Florida judge grant a conservatorship?

There are instances in which mental illness may surface at the most inopportune times. This can happen because your loved one stops taking their medication and is unwilling to restart it. An individual's condition may have also deteriorated to the point that the medication no longer works as effectively as it once did. If your loved one's mental health has become unmanageable and you're afraid that their condition may adversely affect their ability to make sound financial and care decisions, then you may want to consider setting up a conservatorship.

Guardianships are important but not permanent

There are many reasons why a judge can impose guardianship on an individual here in Florida. Someone may be appointed as a guardian over another person who is incapacitated due to infancy, disability or for any other reason. It may seem difficult to have your guardianship responsibilities ended once it's allowed to begin. It's not impossible though.

Understanding the way conservatorships work

Every individual has the right to make their own decisions. However, when a person is severely ill, they may not be able to make decisions that reflect their own best interests. Therefore, loved ones of the individual often take action to seek to be able to make decisions on their behalf. This is often known as a conservatorship.

How to account for incapacity in your estate plan

Everyone's estate plan should account for things that are uncertain. The future is unknown, and this is why estate plans are so important to utilize. By having a contingency plan, you will be able to account for every scenario and ensure that your assets can be distributed in the best possible way.

You can choose multiple guardians, but should you?

You have a large family. When your fifth child is born, you realize that you want to set up an estate plan and pick guardians for the children. If anything happens to you, you want to make sure that they get taken care of.

What are the different types of guardianships in Florida?

A guardian is someone who is appointed by a Florida judge to render financial or other personal decisions on behalf of a child or someone with physical or mental disabilities. Guardianships can be either involuntary or voluntary in the state of Florida.

Choosing a guardian for your parents

Like many Florida residents, you likely think of your parents as responsible caregivers for the family. There may come a time, though, when your parents cannot care for themselves and need you to take over. At the Law Offices of Frye and Vazquez, P.L., we know it is important for you to know when you should appoint a guardian for your parents.

What are the different types of conservatorship?

There are two situations in which your family in Florida may seek the appointment of a conservator for a relation. You may have an elderly family member with a serious health issue, such as dementia, that has led to his or her incapacitation, or you may have an adult child or sibling who is unable to take care of himself or herself due to physical or mental disability. In either case, to appoint a conservator, you may need to go through a lengthy legal process that involves filling out forms and submitting them to the probate court.

What to know about guardianship of the elderly?

As a Florida resident with an aging relative, you might be looking into the possibility of setting up a guardianship in the future. There are many reasons that this can come in handy, and it can provide plenty of benefits for all parties involved.

What Our Clients Are Saying

  • I have known and worked with Austin Frye and his team since 2008. In that time he has helped serve both my business and personal legal planning needs. From guidance on reviewing and keeping shareholder and state documentation up to date... - Robert
  • It is difficult enough to cope with the emotional challenges of closing a parent's estate, and when you are also faced with the issue of your parents having insufficient documentation, and being remote from your siblings… - Zara L.
  • Austin Frye provided legal services to my father while alive and to his estate after his death; when showing the EP docs his firm prepared to other professionals (lawyers, financial advisors, accountants)… - Mark S
  • I've been a client of Austin Frye's for over 10 years. In that time, he's handled my estate/trust planning and asset protection as well as complicated business deals. - Leslie
  • Mr. Frye recently set up a complicated special needs trust for my son and, as usual, did a great job explaining it and in putting our minds at ease about our son's future well-being. - Dr. Howard
  • Massachusetts Bar Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • CFP
  • Florida Bar Elder Law Member
  • Academy Of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
  • Florida bar Business law Member
  • NAELA National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us For Personal Attention To Your Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Get In Touch With Us
20900 W. Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33180

Toll Free: 877-421-5473
Phone: 305-508-5749
Map & Directions